In our last post we suggested that we start creating harmony in our lives by creating that within the walls of our homes. So let’s begin….. divide the tasks up by daily or weekly goals depending on your available time. One step at a time and before you know it you have completed the entire project!
Now, where to begin…..Amy Trager, a professional organizer in Chicago suggests you ask yourself this question…”What about your space is making you feel uncomfortable?” Start with the most annoying area, give it an hour, you will be amazed at what can be done in that amount of time when focused on one task!
(1) Do that task! Create an “Order of Priorities” for the tasks allowing 1-hour for each. Be realistic and determine if you can spare 1 hour daily or weekly, but schedule it and keep your schedule.
(2) Create a “Give Away Box” put everything you want to donate, give away, or even sell on a local garage sale board in that box. Put the box in a convenient location that you can easily see it and take with you in the car to the local donation drop box.
(3) Organize your Decorations- set aside an area in your storage for decorations by holiday. Hang your wreaths on the wall of the storage area, as you can throughout the coming year, purchase storage containers that coordinate to the color of the holiday; red or green Christmas; Pink or Yellow Easter; Orange Halloween; Blue Chanukah; etc.
(4) Create a Home Entryway that has a System – it should include hooks for coats, bins for shoes and boots, a place for mail, hooks to hang keys, etc. Don’t forget to create a place for pet supplies that make leashes handy for walks, toys, feeding. Make the entry to your home efficient.
(5) Organize Spices- choose the way you complete this task based on your use habits. Alphabetize them, group them by type, or even size and brand. But make it work for you.
(6) How Many Peelers Do You Really Need? Get rid of duplicates, unused utensils, non-working items, and do you really need silverware service for 24 in your kitchen drawer?
(7) Use that “Giveaway Box” for unused Pots & Pans- If you haven’t used that amazing pan you bought in over a year….. give it away, throw it away, sell it! You clearly don’t need it. Downsize your volume of pots and pans to what you really use often.
(8) Throw Away Expired Foods! Get rid of outdated foods in the refrigerator, the pantry, and your food storage area. You might need to stop shopping at the Big Box Stores, you end up throwing away more than you saved.
(9) Stack Your Pantry Supplies- Reduce the boxing and packaging in your pantry by using stacking air-tight containers. You will double your available pantry space by reducing boxes and bags. Your food will stay fresher and last longer as well.
(10) The “Giveaway Box” is also perfect for unused Kitchen Gadgets- get rid of all those gadgets you purchased with the best intentions of healthy cooking and now they just take up space! If you haven’t used it in a year……. you know what to do!
We have much more to cover to get your home organized in a month…. we will cover ten more “1-hour Projects” in our next post. Don’t put it off, set a goal now, schedule the time, and DO THE TASK!